The BC Guild of English Handbell Ringers began in Abbotsford in 1993. Our Constitution and By-laws were approved at the Annual General Meeting in Vancouver in 1994 and we were incorporated as a non-profit organization under the B.C. Societies Act on January 18, 1995.
The objectives of the BCGEHR are:
- to bring together handbell choirs from all parts of British Columbia
- to encourage the formation and support of new choirs on an inter-generational basis
- to sponsor workshops for ringers and directors
- to publish a regular newsletter, Quarternotes
- to maintain a music lending library
The national organization, Handbell Guilds of Canada, is now comprised of four provincial guilds: British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba and Ontario.
BCGEHR offers a variety of services to its members, including:
- Read and Ring workshops focusing on a variety of themes
- On-site “mini-workshops” and regional workshops to meet the needs of individual choirs
- Annual General Meeting and biennial provincial festival “Spring Ring”
- The quarterly newsletter as a forum for publicizing upcoming events, and articles about ringing, handbells and handchimes, music, updates from our sister guilds, and other news.
- Voluntary participation in our music lending library
- Chime loan program
- Endowment Fund grants
- Exposure to music and supplies